Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Death and Dandelions

My sister's husband of 39 years is dying of a rare cancer of the blood. My profession as a designer allows me to work anywhere my mac is. And so I am by her side now for the duration. She owns 13 acres with a stable filled with horses. Her husband is 62 and he was once a man that was a chief of police commanding a team... now he no longer can lift his head and will pass very soon. He was diagnosed only 2 months ago. Sad? Yes, but not an uncommon story. Cancer does not care about age, career or goals.

I know I cannot heal him and my sister is numb. Sometimes when death approaches you do whatever you can do to lighten a load. And so I picked up a pitchfork and shoveled manure and when the horses were cleaned and fed I rested.

Anyone can help a family member or a friend... you just need to look around. The hospice team will care for him as he continues to grow weaker and I will remind my sister to eat and to breathe and to just take each day as it comes. And while I am here I will weed a garden. A garden that Lee loved to work in and I know this will bring a smile.

Lee is sedated but I know his spirit is very aware and so I will continue to send him love and surround him with care and compassion for his beloved pets and his best friend...my sister whom I will rock to sleep in my arms for now. Sometimes healing appears in the strangest ways. Look around at the people you know who are hurting and find your garden to weed.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister's husband passed with his dogs by his side on this spring day (Friday, March 23,2012). I sat outside and meditated on the grass and listened to the wind gust around the yard- I opened my eyes and looked over at the neighbors and not a tree stirred, I looked all around and only this home had a beautiful rushing wind blowing hearty as the birds sang loudly. It will always remind me of Lee- he is in the wind - he is all around us. Please continue to pray for our family.

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be moderated and appear within 24 hours.